The theme of Earth Day this year is "Invest in our future." One of the best ways to do that is by supporting businesses that prioritize sustainability.
According to a study done by Green Biz, "71% of consumers would pay more for brands that are sustainable." So, a vast majority of consumers are making sustainability a priority when they go shopping.
Obviously, it's important that each of us make small changes in our lives with the future of the planet in mind. Some examples are:
- Eating fewer animal products
- Recycling plastic, paper, glass, and aluminum
- Switch out single-use plastics for reusable products
- Carpool or bike to work
- Bring your own coffee cup to the coffee shop
- Bring reusable bags to the grocery store
BUT, outside of these changes in our personal lives, big businesses can significantly impact the environment. This means that it's much more important to support businesses making sustainable choices, so in turn, it encourages more companies to do the same.
The bottom line is that whether you're buying or selling, sustainability is becoming increasingly important.
As a consumer, you're now investing in businesses that practice sustainability, but what can you do about it at work? Here are some steps that you can take as a business owner to appeal to the majority of people that are swayed by sustainability in business.
- Use sustainable products
- There are almost always sustainable alternatives to most office supplies, like printer paper, cleaning products, or containers
- Offer remote work or start a carpooling program
- By offering this option to your employees, you not only provide a work-life balance but also reduce your company's carbon footprint by reducing the number of cars on the road
- Buy second-hand
- When furnishing your business, see if you can't find items second-hand before buying brand new
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Reduce the amount of single-use plastics, reuse items and containers whenever possible, and have recycling bins available around the office
- Do business with green businesses
- You can still do your part to support other sustainable businesses as a sustainable business
According to EarthDay.org, "studies show a direct correlation between sustainable business practices, share prices, and business performance. Companies who develop strong Environment Social Governance (ESG) standards have better profitability, stronger financials, happier employees, and more resilient stock performance."
As an Earth Charter partner, we're always striving to create new ways to be sustainable at Medcom Benefit Solutions. One of our current initiatives is spreading awareness among employees about sustainable practices at home, protecting the environment, and how to best spend time outdoors. Our intention is to foster a work environment that encourages curiosity and stewardship. So, by educating employees on these issues at a national and local level, we can continue to work together towards our common goal of a brighter, greener future. To learn more about Earth Day and what events are happening, check out their website: https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2022/.